Winter is almost here. Temperatures have already dropped below freezing this season. Thousands of people die each year from winter related car accidents and more than 100,000 are injured each year. Snow and ice are to be expected during Oklahoma winters.
Below are a few tips to keep drivers safe on snowy or icy roads this winter:
• Keep ice scraper and Deicer in your vehicle.
• Do not pour hot water on iced windshield, This could shatter your windshield.
• Spray deicer on your car door handles if they're frozen in place. Pulling on then when frozen can shatter plastic handles.
• Drive slow. Driving fast on icy roads can make you lose control on your car.
• Keep a cell phone with you and make sure it is fully charged in case of emergencies.
• People driving long distances to visit family should be aware of the weather conditions ahead of time and inform family and friends expecting them of their planned route and arrival window.
• Do not use cruise control when driving in slippery conditions.
• Avoid driving under difficult conditions when possible.
• Do not follow other cars too closely. Give yourself enough space to brake.
• Keep at least one blanket and phone charger in your vehicle.
• Bridges freeze faster than any other part of the road. Slow down when approaching a bridge.